Edexcel AS and A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics (2017)
16 to 19 funding - advanced maths premium
As part of the government’s autumn budget, it was announced in November 2017 that there would be extra funding available to schools and colleges of up to £600 for every 16-19 year old studying academic Level 3 maths qualifications.
The purpose of the premium is to support the sector to grow the number of learners studying high-quality maths qualifications to level 3.
See full details of the extra funding on the DfE site.
To help summarise the announcement, we’ve highlighted the five key facts below:
- The advanced maths premium will be paid at a rate of £600 per year per additional student for one or two years, depending on the type and size of qualification studied.
- All schools, colleges and other providers receiving a 16 to 19 study programme allocation from the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), as well as delivering level 3 maths qualifications as detailed in the Level 3 maths attainment measure in the accountability measure guide 2018 to 2019 , will be eligible for the premium.
- If an additional learner is studying both a maths and further maths qualification in the same academic year, that learner will be funded twice in the same year, so providers will receive £1,200 per learner per year. This is the only combination of qualifications that will attract funding twice in one year.
- Learners need to have prior attainment equivalent to GCSE grade 9 to 4 or A* to C in maths to be eligible.
- The additional funding will only be in place for the next three years to enable providers to build capacity.
Pearson qualifications currently eligible for the maths premium
At Pearson we offer a wide range of Level 3 mathematics qualifications with all the subject support that you value. The table below lists all our current Level 3 qualifications that are eligible for the 16-19 advanced maths premium.
** Statistics qualifications are to be included in the 2017 to 2018 accountability measures and the accountability measures guide will be updated.
Pearson publish a range of resources* to support the teaching of many of these Level 3 qualifications.
*You do not have to purchase any products or services to deliver Pearson qualifications.