New apprenticeships Healthcare Science Assistant
We offer a full range of assessment services to support the diverse requirements of the new apprenticeships standards.
Our End-point Assessment service
You can use Pearson as your end-point assessment organisation regardless of whether you choose to use our on-programme offer or not.
As an SFA-approved Assessment Organisation we provide a full range of assessment services to support the diverse requirements of the new apprenticeships standards.
There are three components that make up end-point assessment for the Healthcare Science Assistant Apprenticeship. The assessment will consist of:
- Professional Practice Test
- Vocational Competence Observation
- Review of portfolio of evidence and Professional Discussion
Each component of end-point assessment is graded. Apprentices will also receive a grade for the overall end-point assessment. This will be Pass/Merit/Distinction.
Professional Practice Test
The apprentice will have 40 minutes to review eight brief workplace-based scenarios and describe the actions (in order) they would take in response to the scenario. The apprentice and independent assessor will discuss the responses for 15 minutes. The discussion allows the apprentice the opportunity to expand on their responses.
The scenarios will cover the following areas:
- Professional Practice (how does the apprentice professionally handle situations and issues)
- Health, Safety and Security (consideration given to safe practices including the security of the patient, own self, others in the workplace)
- Clinical Care (consideration given to patient care and wellbeing)
- Audit/Service Improvement (insight and demonstration of implication of actions)
- Leadership (demonstration of initiative and independent working)
This component will be graded Fail/Pass/Distinction.
Vocational Competence Observation
The Independent Assessor will spend a minimum of 30 minutes observing the apprentice during their normal course of work in their normal workplace. The will be observed in three work-based tasks selected from the following areas:
- Professional Practice
- Clinical Care
- Health, Safety and Security
- QualityTechnical Scientific Services
The observation is ungraded above a pass.
Review of portfolio of evidence and professional discussion
The professional discussion will be between the Independent Assessor and the apprentice and will last for a minimum of 30 minutes. The purpose of the professional discussion is to enable the apprentice to further showcase their knowledge, skills and behaviours from across the Standard. The Independent Assessor checks and clarifies any matters arising from the professional practice test, the evidence portfolio and from the observation of practice.
This element will be graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction.