About International GCSEs
About International GCSEs
Edexcel International GCSEs direct students around the globe towards a better future, preparing them for Level 3 study, or for employment.
Developed by subject specialists and reviewed regularly, many of our International GCSEs include specific international content to make them relevant to students worldwide.
What are International GCSEs?
Available in over 40 subjects, Edexcel International GCSEs are academic qualifications aimed at learners aged 14 to 16. They’re equivalent to a UK General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), and are the main requirement for progression to Level 3 studies.
International GCSEs are linear qualifications, meaning that students take all of the exams at the end of the course. They are available at Level 1 (grades D-G) and Level 2 (grades A*-C).
There are currently more than 100,000 learners studying Edexcel International GCSEs, in countries throughout Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Latin America.
Are International GCSEs available in the UK?
Our Edexcel International GCSEs were initially developed for the international market, and are renowned for being academically rigorous. Many of the qualifications have since become popular among independent schools in the UK, but are not approved for use in UK state schools.
Please note that no UK centres (whether state-funded or independent) will be able to submit candidate entries for examinations after summer 2015 for the following International GCSE qualifications:
- Accounting (4AC0)
- Arabic (First Language) (4AR0)
- Art and Design: Fine Art (4FA0)
- Art and Design: Graphic Design (4GD0)
- Art and Design: Photography (4PY0)
- Art and Design: Textiles (4TE0)
- Bangladesh Studies (4BN0)
- Bengali (4BE0)
- Classical Arabic (4CA0)
- Commerce (4CM0)
- Gujarati (4GU0)
- Islamiyat (4IS0)
- Modern Greek (4MG0)
- Pakistan Studies (4PA0)
- Sinhala (4SI0)
- Swahili (4SW0)
- Turkish (4TU0)
- Urdu (4UR0)
Summer 2015 will be the last opportunity for these qualifications to be sat in the UK. They will, however, continue to be available in international centres.
Why teach Edexcel International GCSEs?
- Flexible course content: International GCSEs let you incorporate local content into the specification, making the course more relevant and engaging for learners.
- Analytical and diagnostic tools: Our exclusive ePen and ResultsPlus technology lets you assess learners’ performance so you can help them to improve.
- Subject Advisors: We have experts in each subject area on hand to answer your subject-specific questions personally.
- Unbeaten support: We’re committed to supporting you in your day-to-day teaching, from our online subject communities to sample assessment materials, mark schemes and published resources.
Why study Edexcel International GCSEs?
- Wide subject range: Edexcel International GCSE qualifications are currently available in 40 subjects, offering more choice to students wanting to study a variety of topics.
- Options for progression: On successful completion of these qualifications, students can choose to further their study by taking AS and A levels or other equivalent qualifications such as our BTEC Nationals or the Edexcel International Diploma.
- Global recognition: Our International GCSEs help students apply to study and work across the world. Recognised by employers and educators worldwide, they are equivalent, grade for grade, to UK GCSEs, with the same status for university entry requirements.
- Extensive student support: We offer our students a wide range of resources and assistance, from exam timetables and past papers to revision tips and the opportunity to comment on our blogs, share a query on Twitter or ask us a question on Facebook.
To see what International GCSE subjects we offer, visit the homepage for International GCSEs and Edexcel Certificates.