Edexcel GCSE Computer Science (2013)
Here, you'll find everything you need to study for or to teach the Edexcel GCSE in Computer Science, including key documents and the latest news.
Students of our Edexcel GCSE in Computer Science will gain practical experience of designing, writing, and testing computer programs, develop the ability to reason, explain and evaluate computing solutions, and develop awareness of current and emerging trends.
- Qualification type:
- General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Level 1/2
- Accreditation status:
- Computer Science
- Specification codes:
- UK and international
- First teaching:
- First assessment:
Why choose this specification?
Our Edexcel GCSE in Computer Science equips learners with a knowledge and understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of the subject, including the
computational thinking skills to analyse problems and design solutions across a range of contexts.
From 2015, Edexcel GCSE Computer Science will count as a science option in the EBacc measure in secondary school performance tables. This means that a student who sits any three of the four separate sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Computer Science) and achieves a C or above in two of them will fulfil the science requirement of the EBacc.
Key features of our Edexcel GCSE in Computer Science:
- developed to promote computer science as a rigorous, knowledge-based subject discipline that should be part of every young person’s education
- benchmarked against the curricula of high-performing jurisdictions in other parts of the world, notably India, Israel and Singapore
- consulted on with members of the computing community – employers, higher education institutions and teachers
- assessed with a written paper requiring a high level of computational thinking (75%), and a controlled assessment focused on practical programming skills (25%).
Controlled assessment support
Sign up to teach
Interested in offering Edexcel GCSE Computer Science?
Sign up here